Sunday, May 6, 2007

Quiz

Head whirls.
I can almost see the words and pictures flying about inside.
Discard them- I don't want them.
They're not the right ones.
Not that.
Not that either.
Where is it.
Murmurs and whispers.
I'm lost in my brain.
Eyes watch me expectantly.
Waiting on a word.
Assessing, wondering, impatient.
Go on.
An urgent tone. A ticking seconds hand.
Eyes all around, counting each tick.
Where is what I need ?

"I'll pass you, then..."

Gone.
Gone and done it.
The eyes are accusing now.
A little despair, a little humour.
Although it isn't funny.
Mind still whirring, too far gone to stop.
I know it's in there somewhere.

"Bang on ! That's the right answer ! Ten points to..."

Grimace.
Damn.
I knew that.
I know I did.

7 comments:

joey said...

THAT inspired poetry in you?
i just walked around feeling horrible all day..

i dont like this piece.its uncomfortably true

rhea said...

Uncomfortable. that's exactly it.

lackofinnovation said...

hmmm that is so unbelievably real. youve captured the expactancy of the audience quite correctly.

rhea said...

thank you. I've been everything there- from participant to audience to participant that might as well have been audience... all of it.

Shalmi said...

like the point of view thing... yours and the people's... and yes, it does feel uncomfortable afterwards, enough to make you relive the question over and over again when you're supposed to be doing bio... i mean, i've heard of easter island! but then...

WHY isn't quizzing an inter-mart event? it's really not as much of a walkover as it's made out to be...

rhea said...

if it were an inter-mart event, i'm afraid it would be just another chance to make fools of ourselves... or then again, maybe lucknow are worse than us at quiz..they look like they might be...that might boost our confidence level a bit.

Shalmi said...

ought to be. because if youre not one of those girls with good hand eye co-ordination and the ability to do fantastically bendy things with your body (example: me) then your only chance of getting to intermart is grabbing one of the FOUR debating slots. unfair.

i know we make fools of ourselves in general, but never in front of lucknow. oh no.