Tuesday, May 8, 2007

changing streams of study

The pen lies at an angle on the table. The word angle invokes sharp corners in my mind. I suppose that must have been by association. No longer, though. Angles and peaky- looking squares pondering parallelogramship dash away from me, around corners and into classrooms where they can hide. The subjectivity of the subjects whose aura, like a hauntingly bad smell, hangs around me repells it, propelling it in the opposite direction. Sciences appear to be busy with something every time I peek in a lab. Biology is intently examining a slide or specimen and Chemistry is enveloped in clouds of smoke which I suspect are emergency HCl fumes. And Physics is buried in mountains of sheets and files. None of them will even look me in the eye. They avoid me like the plague. Only Science doesn't avoid the Plague, it cures it. So what would it do to me ? I can't, or don't want to, imagine.
So why is it avoiding me ?
The Betrayal ?
No.
Science is more reasonable than that.
Isn't it ?

3 comments:

Shalmi said...

hah...i love that about the parallelograms... and no, science is not reasonable. unforgiving, uncompromising, always expecting too much and making you feel like a fool when you presume to protest.

dont know about what you picked, but not for me.

rhea said...

I picked humanities. Because I'm smart.

Shalmi said...

that be the ticket. good girl.