Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another one about polyps

Musk deer and the one-horned rhinoceros and the European corn borer I know about now. But what I have found out that really interests me is that coral polyps can be nasty. It seems when they're competing over the prime spot to leave their shells, some turn horrid and poison others. But you know, it shouldn't surprise me. That weak, soft, shelless things should be so mean. I mean, that's even known to be the popular method of murder among the weak- poison.
And it is the weakest who are mean. The others don't have a reason to be, but they do. They have nothing else to hide them, protect them. No sting. No vast and towering appearance, like the harmless-ish whales. They're just pretty tiny, and useless, and fleshy, and grey, and they're going to die. The only thing they get to decide about their lives is where their bodies will lie when they're gone. Not even the manner of their death, but something as inconsequential to living as the grave spot. And since they have only something so miserable to fight about, it must be vicious. Like that Murphy's Law which states that the precise reason why college politics is so vicious is that there is so little at stake.
So I'm not horrified. I'm not asking what this world is coming to if small little simple creatures like coral polyps are turning to murder. It's the big ones I'm concerned with. So, as long as blue whales aren't developing a determination to avenge themselves for all the hoop skirts and whale blubber, I'm ok. Probably because the whales could actually cause me some damage. But possibly because I've got perspective. Let the little polyps have their bitter squabbles, I say magnanimously. Then, quaking in my boots a little, But please, please let the whales go on being nice.

1 comment:

Shalmi said...

revenge of the whales upon all hoopskirt wearers! scarlett o'hara beware!

:/