Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Moon tonight.

The clouds were all round the moon tonight.
They spiralled around her, pale in reflected glow, and formed a tunnel to the moon.
And I felt that if I just kept walking, the pull of that soft white glow would lift me up, past the garden wall and the maroo house opposite, past the far-away palm tree and etceteras, right into that tunnel. And I'd get to discover it all.
But I was too scared. I didn't walk, for fear I'd hit the wall. For fear, the tunnel would give way beneath my feet, and I'd fall, with the etceteras and maroo house watching, down to the hard reality of the pavement and tarred roads. They've even lopped off the branches of the neighbours' spreading tree, so there'll be nothing to catch me.
Who ? Those corporation fellows, of course. The ones officious enough to chop off the branches, but awful enough to leave them in the street. And I showed what I thought of them, righrt out there on my face. Everyone else nearly died of mortification.
So, I just looked, then lowered my eyes and locked the garden gate. The grilles barred it all right out of reach. I felt awful. And the lady serene in the sky looked at me with her wise eyes, and she smiled, and then it hurt all the more that I couldn't face the garden wall. I couldn't. I can't yet. And she's already forgiven me all of it, that's the worst. It's like she knows all the crime I'm going to commit. And I've hung my head.

2 comments:

joey said...

dont write words like maroo in post like this u idiot..dont bring it down to earth.thats not where it belongs.

rhea said...

i can't help it. it's hideously and blatantly maroo, and couldn't ever be anything else. and the contrast is kind of like a slap in the face, so come and down and then rise again.